Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:49 am 
coder

...to be able to give orders whilst the game is paused. :) :)

Aunxx.
---
In the Gardens of Kadesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:07 am 
coder

Amateur! If you were a true Homeworld player you would have followed Karen S'Jet's example and neurally linked yourself to your computer to issue orders faster. Then you would become the one true Fleet Command! :D

Personally, I know what you mean but then half the enjoyment for me is the final realisation that I'm overwhelmed and outgunned but the end will inevitably be spectacular. My strongest memory was in playing a 1v7 multiplayer game where the computers attacked in a staggered combined force. It was confusing, it was difficult but it focussed the mind. But I slowly beat them off and realised that although my fleet was a shadow of its former self and heavily trashed, I was going to win. I was going to win! Ha, ha, so much for your superior number crunching powers - I win! I then zoomed out and shifted angle to get a better view of my triumph which is when I first saw the Heavy Cruiser bearing down on my Mothership. Ah. &*%@$. It didn't end well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:36 am 
coder

I agree. I'm an amateur. :)

However as I grew older I discovered the "little grey cells" couldn't be persuaded to concentrate on a single thread and wanted to contemplate other things like "Where's my Whisky" and "How do I fix that movie timing problem that's bugging me so much." :)

Also as I like to sit back and contemplate how to steal every single ship bigger than a corvette that is sent at me; I do like to pause and marshal my forces. :) :) :)

Still was surprised by the flanking Heavy cruiser at "the Glactic Core" though. :shock:

Anyhow, as of r448, there is an option in mainrgn.h to allow processing orders whilst paused. Ideally I'll move this to a config option rather than an ifdef, but wanted to make sure that it didn't break anything before doing much more to it. :)

Aunxx