Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:17 pm 
coder

I just noticed that compared to 0.3, parts of the animated sequence in the beginning of the single player campaign are skipped by the current trunk (r487). After Fleet Command calls "Scaffold control, stand by for alignment", 0,3 shows the rotating scaffold from different viewpoints. The current version only briefly shows the mothership from the front. Voice then goes out of sync: Fleet Command calls "Stand by release control" as the mothership is seen already leaving the scaffold.

How is this possible? I thought the animation comes from the bigfiles, which have not changed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

shevek wrote:
I just noticed that compared to 0.3, parts of the animated sequence...
How is this possible? I thought the animation comes from the bigfiles, which have not changed.

Not animated... those are the Non-Interactive sequences. These are different from the black and white Bink animations.

The NIS manipulates the game engine and related camera views according to cues it reads from a script while you watch... and thus it is subject to every other bug in the game and some of its own.

This one is bug #17. lmop thinks it's a sound bug... could be as the sounds are supposed to sync the scripted events:

http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/tenod ... .php?id=17

(The zapkitty returns... yay! :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:12 pm 
coder

Actually I think it was Aunxx who thinks it's a sound bug. (I don't have sound so wouldn't know if it's in sync or not...) However, that doesn't entirely cover what Shevek is describing since he's also talking about truncated/skipped parts of the NIS sequence.

Fortunately we do have known working and broken revisions so it's something we should be able to track down and fix relatively easily. Anybody care to volunteer to binary-traverse the revision tree and find the commit that breaks things? Submitting a bug report with whatever is found out would be helpful too. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

lmop wrote:
Actually I think it was Aunxx who thinks it's a sound bug. (I don't have sound so wouldn't know if it's in sync or not...) However, that doesn't entirely cover what Shevek is describing since he's also talking about truncated/skipped parts of the NIS sequence..

I'd reported this both in the forum and in the bug tracker:

Quote:
"It's been going on for a while, and scenes get chopped to match... or is it vice-versa?"

While my description in the tracker needed to be more complete I knew I'd described the bug in the forum a time or two....

This does point out the danger of too many venues of communication. I think the tracker should be for strictly bug-related notes and extended discussion of bugs left for here in the forum.

My two cents :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:02 am 
coder

Morning all.

Thought my ears were burning. :) :)

I've had a look at this and I cannot seem to replicate the problem. When I run the initial NIS everything seems to run smoothly, and I see the mothership launched from the scaffold. There doesn't seem to be any NIS crash. The sequence finishes with the camera zooming into the resource collector and scouts and finishing the widescreen section. Exactly where the NIS hands control back to you if you skip the sequence.

I should really try to get the speech events out of the audio file so we can see exactly where it is crashing. Could you also post what hardware you're using to see if there's something similar?

Can you do either a debug build or enable the debug in NIS.h and post it into Mantis? I'll post this post there as well so there's some record of it. :)

On a slight aside has anyone tried the avi animations to see if they crash as well?

It's a bit tricky for me to know what to look for, but hopefully a debug output might give me a few hints.

Also, Sorry I've been away for a while. Life and all that keeps my free time to a minimum at the moment.

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:11 pm 
coder

The first NIS does not crash, it just skips over some bits. However, in misson 3, Return to Kharak, the game crashes with SEGV when you capture one of the frigates and a NIS should start.

How does one get an account for the BTS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

shevek wrote:
How does one get an account for the BTS?

Just by asking :)

I've got a ton of forum changes and catching up to do this evening , but I'll get your info in the mail as soon as I can.

Post subject: ATTN aunxx
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Been busy with urgent stuff here since last I posted.

Got the emails re: your bugtracker notes.

Probably should leave that level of general "poking around" questioning to the forums?

As to your notes:

I haven't used g c c 3 ever since g c c 4 was enabled in the code.

You did a lot of things with your test binaries that were never documented out where we could see, I think.

Your latest 3.3 481 test binary solves the mothership gun muzzle flash (bug #1)... why? :)

But the NIS bug (#17) is still there.

As to the C C issue, My web hosting was recently upgraded and apparently the "c c" block was reinstituted.. I'll investigate.

Keep at it... I'll get the bugtracker/forum stuff all synchronized eventually ;)

Post subject: Re: ATTN aunxx
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:46 am 
coder

Mornin' all.

Wasn't sure where to put the questions, and then was vexed with trying to update Mantis with it spitting everything out. so apologies if it was a bit disjointed in there.

zapkitty wrote:
I haven't used g c c 3 ever since g c c 4 was enabled in the code.

Cool. I only test the code with v3 when there's something wrong and I'm trying to see if it's always been there or a feature of v4 (I'm ommitting the name of the compiler for security reasons. :) )

zapkitty wrote:
You did a lot of things with your test binaries that were never documented out where we could see, I think.

Sorry, I thought that I'd explained what I'd done. :cry: I shall remedy that when I get some free time. They were a standard build but with the debug code stripped out of the binary to make it about 25% of the size. :)
zapkitty wrote:
Your latest 3.3 481 test binary solves the mothership gun muzzle flash (bug #1)... why? :)

Must be linked to the missing explosions. There must be some additional code I missed relating to that. I'll hunt for the modifications and try to sort that out as well. Assign the Bug to me and I'll add it to my TODO list. :)

zapkitty wrote:
But the NIS bug (#17) is still there.

That makes it not what I thought it was. I'll see if there's a way of dumping lots more info out about the NIS and see if we can see what causing the problem. I've a chunk of code I used when trying to get the movies working -- I'll see if that'll adapt. :)

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:36 am 
Site Admin

The cc block is supposed to be fixed ... lessee...
Quote:
The ships of Nekoclysm.
Mothership class:
CCATS: Colony Construction And Tactical Support
produced by: Shipyard

shcc sells ccshells by the ccshore...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:38 am 
Site Admin

Just updated the issue on the tracker.

It actually goes all the way back to rev 289, which means it's a gcc 4 side effect.

One symptom not noticed before is that the Ambassador in mission 04, which is supposed to be an unarmed heavy corvette, instead appears as a standard h. corv with guns... so if the bug is messing up where the game expects to find stuff that will explain a lot.

Also... the segfault in mission 03 is a relatively recent event and is probably unrelated to to this... probably....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:55 am 
coder

Every single error relating to the gcc v4 update is tied to the function

TreatAsUdword().

It seems to spectacularly break almost everything it touches, but the annoying part is that it works if you move the functions around in the code.

I've tried to re-write this, (Didn't work ) but I think I need to concentrate on it a bit more as it's really starting to annoy me now. :) :)

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

zapkitty wrote:
Also... the segfault in mission 03 is a relatively recent event and is probably unrelated to to this... probably....

Bug #28, actually.

Post subject: Fixed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:14 am 
coder

Hi.

Sorted this out. It's linked to the accursed function.

I'm just trying to tidy the code up a little bit as I was a bit cavalier with one or two bits. :)

Should check it in today.

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:46 am 
coder

Checked in as r493.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
Checked in as r493.

Confirm. The NIS sequences now execute in order and the Mission 04 Ambassador ain't toting a pair of gun turrets anymore.

So currently out NIS-wise is the bug #28 crash in linux, and that minor issue of the sound lagging in NIS 2 in Mission 02... but that's been there forever it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:33 am 
coder

zapkitty wrote:
...and that minor issue of the sound lagging in NIS 2 in Mission 02...

Can you see if it's still there?
If it is, can you let me know which bit has the lag and I'll see if I can replicate it? :)

I know you've mentioned it somewhere before, but that was back when the forum was a lot quieter. :) :)

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:44 am 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
zapkitty wrote:
...and that minor issue of the sound lagging in NIS 2 in Mission 02...

Can you see if it's still there?

I'll have N&N check that too.

The benchmark to note is when the two Turanic fighters start playing "Nascar Spacers" and nudge each other. That's a clear marker that the sound is lagged.