Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 am 

Hi,
I've been going through the movie playback code to crush the playback bug under 64-bit Linux. I haven't been able to locate the source of the bug but I believe it has to do with memory releasing/reuse in the movie player code. It looks like something isn't being freed correctly when a movie has played so the next time a movie launches it crashes the engine. This is reproducible behaviour. If you stub out one of the two intro movies it'll get into the game and crash on the first level loading. If you stub out the intro movies you can load the first mission fine but upon loading level 2 or quitting and reloading level 1 it'll crash on the video clip.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:17 pm 
coder

Looks like a bug in r909: it replaced the deprecated av_open_input_file with avformat_open_input but failed to replace av_close_input_file with avformat_close_input.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:15 pm 

I've made a patch, see: http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/sourceforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=347#p1853

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:32 am 
coder

The correct fix is to replace the deprecated av_close_input_file(pFormatCtx) with avformat_close_input(&pFormatCtx) in aviFileExit. It zeroes the pointer. I don't see why zeroing the other pointers would be necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:58 pm 

Hi shevek,

thanks for the information, i'll change the code with the next submit i'll make.
I just reset all pointers to be sure no stray memory references are left after cleanup, but i'll remove the corresponding lines, so just your suggestion remains. You're right, of course, i already tried your fix and it works as it should.

Cheers!