Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:43 am 
coder

Mornin'

I know this isn't the place for this question, but I figured that here'd be as good a place to as as anywhere else as it's been mentioned.

Should we avoid releasing a set version number, (eg 0.3, 0.4) and release a compiled svn revision? That way we wouldn't have the panic over sorting out a new release, and people could keep more upto date?
Or:
How about releasing r500 a 0.4 (or is that 0.5 now? :) ) and then a weekly or monthly compile as Rnnn? We could keep a history then and it'd make checking back through the code easier to see when it last worked? LoL

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:30 am 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
Mornin'

I know this isn't the place for this question, but I figured that here'd be as good a place to as as anywhere else as it's been mentioned.

Should we avoid releasing a set version number, (eg 0.3, 0.4) and release a compiled svn revision? That way we wouldn't have the panic over sorting out a new release, and people could keep more upto date?

In that case they can subscribe to the svn?

Software numbering is fairly well defined logic behind it and folks will know that 0.4 is newer than 0.3 etc... whereas they may not know what the heck the svn revision number means.

("They're up to version 499?!")

aunxx wrote:
Or:
How about releasing r500 a 0.4 (or is that 0.5 now? :) ) and then a weekly or monthly compile as Rnnn? We could keep a history then and it'd make checking back through the code easier to see when it last worked? LoL

Well, for what purpose? There was a genuine singularity between 0.3 and 0.4. and
there have been truly major changes since 04... but we're talking years and months elapsed time respectively.

While I setup up the binary release package to be easily updated I don't expect version level changes very often... unless we're going for a v.0.4.0012 level of granularity? ;)

I think that a "Current SVN" text box with a link to lmop's site is the way to handle that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:27 pm 
coder

The important thing is to tag the released revision in SVN. We can use whatever labels we find best for the purpose of describing releases. I see no reason to depart from the good old dotted decimal.

I don't think SVN revision numbers would make particularly good release labels. They are very nondescriptive. About the only thing that can be said of SVN revision numbers is that their numerical order corresponds to order in time. Even release dates would provide more information.

Post subject: Tags
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:34 pm 
coder

So, could someone with write access to the tags directory (lmop?) do
Code:
svn cp -r435 svn://www.homeworldsdl.org:3692/homeworldsdl/homeworld/trunk svn://www.homeworldsdl.org:3692/homeworldsdl/homeworld/tags/release-0.4
and similarly for any other releases for which the revision number is known?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:57 pm 
coder

Sorry, I appear to have missed this thread in the backlog of stuff to read when I got back. I've tagged Linux 0.4 (r435 per shevek) and Linux 0.5 (r500 per zapkitty's CHANGELOG change).

You should be able to tag now too. I discovered that the svnserve configuration was out-of-date with my local version so I've fixed that. Please follow the naming convention for whatever you are tagging (generally <YYYYMMDD>-<platform>-<thing>-<version>).