Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Movies and sound on 0.5
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:52 pm 

I have to say, I'm quite impressed. You've all done some excellent work here. I'm hoping someone may be able to give me some direction on a couple of things though. I really have an itch to play Homeworld, and would rather play your port in beautiful 1440x900, than the crummy 1024x768 I'm stuck at using Cedega to run the Windows release.

I understand 0.5 plays the movie cutscenes. I downloaded the AVIs aunxx made, and placed them in the binary directory, and a /movie subfolder. They don't play, so I'm assuming I'm missing a switch or something.

The bigger issue I have that I hope can be remedied, is the sound. There's a lot of popping sounds, and it's a bit to aggravating to play with, especially considering the beautiful music and sounds of this game. At first I thought it was my crappy laptop speakers, but then I tried my headphones with the same result. The Windows release sounds great in Cedega. I really hope that's something that someone here can help me troubleshoot, and not strictly a coding issue. What do you think?

It's truly amazing what you all have done here. Thanks for porting this great game to Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:00 am 
coder

Hi.

The movies are still being tested so I don't believe that the functionality was included in the 0.5 release. I didn't compile the release so I cannot say for sure though. :) There are a few more dependencies needed to play the movies, but we should be able to include an additional section of the readme to allow for this.

Do you have access to the source code? if so you can try compiling the movie code in yourself. It needs some additional testing as I think I've found a problem linked to aligning the data but need to repeat the problem elsewhere.
I think we can probably release an additional binary which includes the movie code though. :) :)

The sound problem you mentioned doesn't sound familiar, so I cannot give any simple answers I'm afraid. It sounds like the SDL audio driver, but that's just a first impression. What distribution of Linux are you using, and what's your sound card? Do other SDL games play well?

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:44 am 
coder

Hi,

Indeed, it could be a SDL Audio problem as on my desktop, the sound is good but on my laptop it is really crappy with a lot of noise and make me want to shut it off.

For reference, the sound card on the laptop is an intel HD audio type card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:11 am 
Site Admin

In the dangerous and unpredictable region sometimes known as the Homesource Experimental Testing Area...

http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/downl ... r_testing/

... there is said to have recently appeared an item that might, perhaps, be of interest to straxus ...

homeworld_executable_rev543_movies-enabled.gz

... as always, be careful and heed the warnings...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:09 pm 
coder

Hi.

I've downloaded the binary and it plays the movies.
There are a lot more dependencies which you'll need before the game starts, but they're all common.

Due to some recent changes in the code, you currently need to run the binary from the homeworld folder, and have the avis in a "Movies" folder. This is due to the ongoing depreciation of the HW_Data environment variable. I'll sort it out when the path settings have settled down. :)

If you get a crash just after it tries to start the movie then I'm fairly sure I can fix it and supply an additional binary. As I mentioned, I think I found this error before but need some other people to re-create it. :)

SDL: There seems to be an indication that in may have permission related problems. What happens when you start Homeworld as root?

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
Hi.
SDL: There seems to be an indication that in may have permission related problems. What happens when you start Homeworld as root?

It seizes control of the computer and sets up a covert sendmail daemon that pumps out trillions of spam emails globally, all of which say "Homeworld 2 never happened!"

More seriously... "seems to be an indication...?" Which permissions, and why would the desktop permissions be different from the laptop permissions, and aren't there diagnostics for the permissions that don't require going root?

Details, please... inquiring zapkitties want to know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:43 pm 

Thanks for the binary, Zapkitty. The movies work great! :)

Aunxx, I'm running Ubuntu 6.10. The handful of other SDL games I've ran (Frozen Bubble, LinCity-NG, Mednefen) have great sound. My sound card is:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

Also, running as root gives me the same sound issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:42 am 
coder

Hi.

I (years ago) had a problem with a soundcard which was linked to how it processed the sound. The thing I found odd was that as a user it ran the sounds sequentially, but if you ran with elevated permissions it allowed the sound to run in parallel. I just switched off the sound after a while as I didn't need it. I saw something the other day whilst searching which reminded me of that problem so just suggested it to see if it made any difference. :)

zapkitty wrote:
It seizes control of the computer and sets up a covert sendmail daemon that pumps out trillions of spam emails globally, all of which say "Homeworld 2 never happened!"

I believe that this was removed in r259. :D

But back to the problem at hand......
There seems to be a lot of bits about this on t'web, all of which seems to have varying levels of success.
The following link does seem to be the best advice though.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
Don't know if you've already tried this though.

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:14 pm 

Yeah. I actually had to use that and a couple other guides to get sound working at all when I first got this machine. This seems like a particularly troublesome chipset driver-wise, though this is the first issue I've had since setting it up.

Although looking at it now, it looks like I went back to the distro packaged ALSA version 1.0.11 after getting it working. I'll give the latest dev release a shot and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:35 am 

Tried ALSA 1.0.14rc3 with the same results. I may be out of luck for the time being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:36 am 
Site Admin

Then this should be mentioned in the README as an Intel chipset-specific issue?

... and I should have added "Linux" to the executable name so folks don't get confused...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:02 pm 

i've just got an update on the sound front : this is definately not homeworld's fault as adding the following into ~/.asoundrc completely kills the crackling noise :
Code:
# this fixes crackling noise in homeworld !!
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

soundcard : Intel 82801DB-ICH4

this solution is from here : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=458474 (there is another soulution there that might work for you (but not for me))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:45 am 
coder

I tried it on a SB live sound card and it seems to work.

Thanks a lot bernstein.