Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HW SDL rev543
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:48 pm 

I can't code, but I really like playing Homeworld again!!! A year ago i completely switched from Windows to Linux and my only sorrow has since been, not being able to play games anymore. Especially the Homeworld series! Of course there has been that truly amazing thing called "wine" but it's ease of use is nothing compared to what package management does and it always has some glitches...

But wait, here you come... with that amazing, single binary (+ avi files)!! And once more i can play this amazing game!! This is the first 3D-enabled game i am able to play on my Linux Laptop without (almost) any fuss and with unprecedented speed ! I believe it even runs faster than the original version... The quality of these (alpha?) releases is truly IMPRESSIVE, I look forward to that new NetworkStack... :shock: You can be proud of what you've achieved so far!

One thing though : For such a mature project, HomeworldSDL needs a cleaner/unified website! Why not merge homesource.nekomimicon.net / homeworldsdl.org and machomeworld.com, while keeping the domains? And it would be nice to have packages for Linux distributions and installer for win/mac (although there is no pressing need, as it's just the binary that can be distributed(?), but it would simplifiy installation/access). Even having the releases for various platforms clearly visible in one location would improve things... For example: I first found the mac release, then the 0.3 linux one which did not work and after dancing through the forum the post 0.5 release with video enabled. and i still don't know where to find the windows version... maybe i am wrong and i just had much luck getting it to work, but it seems damn stable to me!

after running hwsdl as root there seem to be (almost) no issues (I've just played up to mission 5). well there is the cracking noise on the intel 82801DB-ICH4 sound chip as mentioned in the forum, but when switching to a creative audio chip it's flawless! (i don't know if the guys running the warzone2100 port sound with sdl too, but it's flawless, so you might want to fix that...)
and to get hwsdl going i had to create four symlinks to libavcodec, libavformat, libavutil, libGL - using ubuntu6.10) On a note to the sound issue :

keep up the good work, it's very appreciated !!!

greets
bernstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:15 am 
coder

Mornin' and welcome to the Forum. :)

Glad you found us, and you're enjoying the game again.

I think I'm upto about level 14 playing through again, but I've so little time free anymore I don't think I'll be getting much further for a while. :(

I'll not comment about the websites as they're not my domain (Deliberate pun :) )

Sound is kinda planned to be worked on but it's a matter of time. The x86 (Linux and Windows) Sound implementaions are dependant upon some functions for which we don't have the source. This means that someone needs to re-write the code to port it onto the other platforms. I think that this'd need to be sorted before we can start trying to identify the problem with the sound card. Sorry, but it's probably going to be a while before this gets done.

I'm glad you've got the movies working. :) You're the first non-coder to say that they're working so I'd be pleased if you could let me know exactly what you did with the symlinks, and what errors you had (if any). I tried to be as general as I could with the avi code, but must of missed something. Also, whilst you say you're not a coder, I notice you write good posts. Ever thought of writing Documentation? :) :)

Also, was the libGL symlink related to linking libGL.so to libGL.so.1 ?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, and once again welcome to the forum. :)

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:37 pm 
coder

Why on earth are you running it as root? There should be no reason to do so.

Warzone 2100 appears to use OpenAL, which seems quite popular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:04 pm 

Quote:
Why on earth are you running it as root? There should be no reason to do so.
Because i got an instant segfault when i tried to run it. But it (i just tried as normal user) doesn't do this anymore... :cool:

Quote:
I think I'm upto about level 14 playing through again
Well I am stuck at mission 10... the game is stuck after i've destroyed the shipyard although i couldn't find any other enemy ships... maybe i'ts because i saved the moment the shipyard is destroyed?

Quote:
I'm glad you've got the movies working. Smile You're the first non-coder to say that they're working so I'd be pleased if you could let me know exactly what you did with the symlinks, and what errors you had (if any)

1) I downloaded homeworld_executable_rev543_movies-enabled.gz and the AllMovies.zip
2 ) i made dirs :
Code:
sudo mkdir /opt/homeworldsdl
sudo mkdir /opt/homeworldsdl/Movies

3 ) unzipped homeworld_executable_rev543_movies-enabled.gz to /opt/homeworldsdl and AllMovies.zip to /opt/homeworldsdl/Movies
4 ) made symlinks (the game outputs whats missing. for ex. "./homeworld: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.51: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory")
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.0d.51.11.0 /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libavformat.so.0d.50.5.0 /usr/lib/libavformat.so.50
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libavutil.so.0d.49.0.0 /usr/lib/libavutil.so.49
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/libGL.so

5 ) made /opt/homeworldsdl/homeworld executable
Code:
cd sudo chmod 755 /opt/homeworldsdl/homeworld

6 ) changed cwd
Code:
cd /opt/homeworldsdl/

7) run game & play :-)
Code:
./homeworld &
or
Code:
./homeworld /window &

Quote:
I tried to be as general as I could with the avi code, but must of missed something

Nope the avi's work perfectly! (although i might have some codecs installed before.... will try running hwsdl on a clean ubuntu7.04 when i upgrade (maybe this weekend, maybe in july :-) )

Quote:
Also, whilst you say you're not a coder, I notice you write good posts. Ever thought of writing Documentation?

Thanks... Well i might, i have written some small things for the ubuntu wiki... so why not. But getting hwsdl to run was quite straightforward, so there wouldn't be much to write about... maybe a collection of standing issues?
And i was not so accurate about the coder thingy... i can code _very_ simple c++/phython and reasonable php/javascript stuff, but thats way different to game coding :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:22 pm 
coder

HI.

I've about two mins to post before I have go go off-line, so very quickly, and without fully addressing all the points. I'll answer properly when I can....

Thank you for your notes about the Movies. I'm pleased to see that it wasn't to difficult to sort out. :)

I've a vague recollection that the bug about Mission 10 was a "feature" of the original, so we cannot claim exclusive rights to the "You'll never get past level 10" patch! :)

Aunxx

PS. Looking through the code and asking questions in a friendly forum is a very good way to learn to code. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 am 

Hi aunxx

sorry for the delay answering, currently i'am very busy - exams are rushing in - so my time is limited too. unfortunately this won't change till mid-september...

Quote:
PS. Looking through the code and asking questions in a friendly forum is a very good way to learn to code.

sounds quite compelling! but as mentioned above i'm kinda out of time right now... if exams go well, i'll be back and will start looking at the code to help fix (if they aren't fixed till then :-) ) remaining issues :-)

bernstein