Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:35 pm 
coder

The last Homeworld binary released for Linux was 0.3alpha in 2004. I haven't heard anything from Ted for quite a while. How hard would it be to compile and host a new version for the underprivileged? There have been numerous changes since 2004 :) (Of course, the same is also true for Windows - has one ever been released?)

For reference, 0.7alpha on Mac OS X was based on r177. I'm not sure if it's worth attempting to sync version release numbers across platforms or not, although it's certainly beneficial to state the revision number of the code that the release is built from.

Post subject: I can do it
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:18 pm 
coder

I can compile and host new binaries at least.

That is, I can provide the homeworld binary, a script to launch it, and some of the library thingys.

However, what about CD protection? Do we just skip it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

alankila wrote:
I can compile and host new binaries at least.

Weird... this was exactly the first thing I was going to do after I finished upgrading my Linux boxes... at least before things got very wonky in the Mandriva install department.

I think we're all on the same page here :)

alankila wrote:
That is, I can provide the homeworld binary, a script to launch it, and some of the library thingys.

Well, hosting the binary on a web site could get interesting in the bandwidth department...

Besides... that's where the download section of the main Homesource site can finally do its thing as it was meant to... :)

The binary of the rev where lmop corrected my spelling runs just fine on the new Mandriva 2007 setup straight out of the box.

After install hell... M2007 is actually a very well behaved new Linux setup so I thought it would be good for testing such things. The sound problems and post-game crashes disappeared too :)

All I needed was the binary and all the data files in one folder, and the .homeworld folder in ~home. And that can probably go in the same folder as all the rest if the person doesn't want to install the game.

The system default of SDL 1.2 ran everything fine.

And... I was going to correct my rather erratic linux INSTALL by first honing down to just the exact essentials for a binary install, followed by a roll-your-own section for a source patch release, and finally the basics of getting and using an svn account with the source.

I figured it (the INSTALL) would be much more neat, precise and easy to read that way as well as prepping us for binary and source patch releases.

alankila wrote:
However, what about CD protection? Do we just skip it?

I'm easing away from required and default CD protection in the INSTALL notes anyway, and was going to ask if I should just ditch it and substitute a "you should have the game cd before you play this" notice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

zapkitty wrote:
And... I was going to correct my rather erratic linux INSTALL

Never mind... I just got around to DL'ing rev 206 and 'kila's already been busy in that department :)

Still... yeah... binaries and source patches again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:33 am 
coder

CD validation checks are turned off by default:
utility.c L144 wrote:
#define CD_VALIDATION_ENABLED 0 // toggle checking CD is in drive and anti-piracy checks

and only work under _WIN32 anyway - for some reason nobody bothered to make it cross-platform compatible... The only reason to have the CD in the drive is if you do a minimal install.

Why would we issue a "source patch release"? That's what the Subversion repository provides and is more user friendly too. Ted issued a source patch originally because there was no publicly available repository available at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:37 am 
Site Admin

lmop wrote:
CD validation checks are turned off by default:
utility.c L144 wrote:
#define CD_VALIDATION_ENABLED 0 // toggle checking CD is in drive and anti-piracy checks

and only work under _WIN32 anyway - for some reason nobody bothered to make it cross-platform compatible... The only reason to have the CD in the drive is if you do a minimal install.

But nobody had said so explicitly in the docs until I mentioned it :). In fact, although the CD check is not switched on, the INSTALL left the reader with the impression that the CD was required to play....

lmop wrote:
Why would we issue a "source patch release"? That's what the Subversion repository provides and is more user friendly too. Ted issued a source patch originally because there was no publicly available repository available at the time.

For the same reason Relic finally released the source executable to the public.

So that somebody can play around with Homeworld without needing to get permission and passwords or messing with installing svn etc and then keeping up with the flavor of the hour in rev 6529407... :)

John or Jane Q. Public can just pull down the source, pull down the patch, and without having to do more than agree to the RDN license within the source exe: play with the source.

It will be downloaded... more than a few times.

The patch should only be updated for major fixes or changes though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:26 pm 
coder

How do you then enforce this?

END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR RELIC ENTERTAINMENT INC. ("RELIC") SOFTWARE wrote:
(b) distribute the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and the MODIFIED SOFTWARE, solely for non-commercial purposes, and only to registered members of RDN-RELIC Developer's Network who have agreed to abide by the terms of this Agreement.

Encrypt/password the archive which is then provided upon request?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

lmop wrote:
How do you then enforce this?

We don't, any more than Ted did. To use the patch they must have the Homeworld source code... and to have the code they must have agreed to the license. (Though at the time Ted or Aaron did not know that Relic had released the source executable :) )

As far as strictly trying to "enforce" the RDN license goes... don't be silly. Under the license it is technically impossible to do ANYTHING with the Homeworld source code. You can't even look at it :P

But Relic has given repeated assurances that this was not their intention, and that as long as all rights to the code and anything built with the code are reserved to Relic, we can distribute at will.

So the patch, being dependent on the source to function, doesn't approach the limits that have been granted by Relic.

We're covered :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:45 am 
coder

Hi,

Sorry I've been a bit silent for a while. Like various other side projects I've worked on, my interest kind of waned with Homeworld SDL as other things that have been going on in my life got more hectic. Not a good excuse for not updating anything for a couple years, I guess. :)

Anyway, I'd still be willing to help out in putting together a new build. I'm also finally updating the thereisnospork.com site for the first time in two years, and I'm still willing to host the game there.

On a side note, bandwidth never really got out of hand. The most bandwith I ever had on my site was back in August 2004 when 0.3 was released, which had about 3.1 GB of traffic (assuming Webalizer is accurate), with about 1.2 GB of that being actual downloads of the Homeworld SDL binary (PNG images take up a fair amount of the extra bandwidth). September saw about half that, after which it wavered around a gig total for a while. Nowadays, it's around 700 MB a month (not sure how much of that is offset by Homesource and homeworldsdl.org).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:52 am 
Site Admin

ShaolinMan wrote:
Hi,

Sorry I've been a bit silent for a while. Like various other side projects I've worked on, my interest kind of waned with Homeworld SDL as other things that have been going on in my life got more hectic. Not a good excuse for not updating anything for a couple years, I guess. :)

... Who are you?...
... :twisted:

Welcome back, Ted :D

ShaolinMan wrote:
Anyway, I'd still be willing to help out in putting together a new build. I'm also finally updating the thereisnospork.com site for the first time in two years, and I'm still willing to host the game there.

Cool! I guess you've read up on recent events and proposals? We're trying to get HW-SDL running on a Diebold TSx and small enough to store on a smart card... ... ... ;)

And more hosting is always good of course.

ShaolinMan wrote:
On a side note, bandwidth never really got out of hand.

One word.. anime-style catgirls :) Bandwidth is not an issue for the Nekomimicon either, nowadays.

So I can host copies of alll released HW source projects here as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:23 am 
coder

Any news on this? FYI, I was going to try and get a new Mac OS X release out in time for Christmas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:28 am 
coder

Hi.

I'll compile this unless someone else is already on with it. :)

Do we have any preferences, or shall I just compile a few different binaries, and also try and compile a static binary as well? It'd be larger, but should run on any linux system.

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:21 am 
coder

Hi.

I've uploaded two versions of the binary to
http://www.whoc.org.uk/homeworldSDL/

Can a few people check that these are working?

I don't have a good upload speed, but as they're stripped they're not too big.

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:47 pm 
coder

Concerning the binaries, from what I have understood, we can release freely binaries for people who did not sign the RDN license agreement to access the source.

But under what license, are we suppose to distribute these binaries? I have begun to write a package for the gentoo distribution and I would really like to know this little point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:51 pm 
coder

A not-for-profit, freely-distributable license should cover it. The not-for-profit condition is explicitly required by Relic. Being freely-distributable means that anyone can host it and that no-one else can claim ownership of it (although technically any and all products produced from the Homeworld source code belong to Relic anyway so it's a moot point).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:00 am 
coder

Hi.

I've removed the files I uploaded whilst we try and sort out this EQ crash. I'll recompile and upload them when that's sorted. :)

Do they need to be tarballed with anything for our testing?

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 am 
coder

FYI, I've just released Homeworld 0.8alpha for Mac OS X. Change log:

0.8alpha (r346)

UPDATED: colour icon
UPDATED: JPEG image handling updated to version 6b
FIXED: salvaged vessels now exit from the same launch bay that they entered
FIXED: removed the 200 screenshot limit (screenshots are now datestamped)
FIXED: meshMorphedObjectRender crash (not confirmed)

Contributions from: lmop, nova, alankila, zapkitty, aunxx, azurief

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:13 am 
coder

Hi.

I've uploaded two binaries to the same place
http://www.whoc.org.uk/homeworldSDL/
as before.

These are r360 compiled with gcc v4.1 and stripped. There is a normal build and a debug build.

Can we check these to make sure that they're okay? I can also compile using gcc v3 if we'd prefer.

Aunxx.
--------
NB. Must sort a picture and a .sig out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:34 am 
coder

I m checking it on a machine with no previous installation.

By the way, this is only the binary of the game, without any libs generated by the game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Still can't build a working configuration directory from a cold start...

Code:
./homeworld_r360_debug
Scanning for newer files in .
Compared 81 filesystem files to main & update bigfiles.
0 files found newer than main bigfile in filesystem.
0 files found newer than update bigfile in filesystem.
SDL_GL_LoadLibrary(librgl.so): Failed loading DPMSDisable: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: DPMSDisable
SDL_GL_LoadLibrary(librgl.so): Failed loading DPMSDisable: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: DPMSDisable
Fatal Error: Couldn't initialize default rendering system
.Saving detailed analysis to 'mem.analysis' and map to 'mem.map'
Heap length     = 64033280
Largest block   = 63944032 (99.86%)
Used memory     = 88928 (0.14%)
Free memory     = 63944032 (99.86%)
Cookie memory   = 256 (0.00%), 8 cookies
Lost memory     = 64 (0.00%)
../../../src/SDL/utility.c (4727): Fatal Error - Assertion of (munmap(utyMemoryHeap, 0) != -1) failed.
Trace/breakpoint trap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:42 am 
coder

Hi.

Ah, yes. I have two systems that I use, one was heavily modified whilst I was working on the audio problem so I compiled it on the other system. Problem was it wasn't modified enough. :(

I'll upload a r361 binary today without any reference to librgl.so which should remove that problem.

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:37 am 
coder

Hi.

I've uploaded a r362 debug binary for people to try. (Usual link)

It is modified (see http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/sourceforum/viewtopic.php?t=150)

and it has the removed references to librgl.so which cause the problems with the earlier test binary. (I hope. :) )

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
Hi.

I've uploaded a r362 debug binary for people to try...
... and it has the removed references to librgl.so which cause the problems with the earlier test binary. (I hope. :) )

Welp, ready for a prelim report. I won't waste time anymore apologizing for the length of time it always takes me (you all know the drill).
Much thanks to Niece and Nephew for visual aid.

From the excellent to the problematic to the weird...

The 362 debug works, and successfully creates a configuration directory from scratch.

Unfortunately it still defaults to palletized textures with my GeForce FX 5200 and I must use the -nopal option.

Also, NIS sounds now stop on cue.

but... gun flashes from the Mothership are now wildly out of scale at lod 0... we thought the frickin' mothership was exploding or something....

and.... (and it took considerable effort from visually-enabled family members to determine this) if you focus closely on a resourcer harvesting a dustcloud the game segfaults. Not an asteroid... a dustcloud... and you need to zoom really up close. It's not immediate, but it will happen after a couple or three seconds.

Don't know where that one came from...

That is all :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:43 am 
coder

@zapkitty:

I didn't use to get this, but i recently did a fresh install of ubuntu.

now i know i had my r340 build working fine on my old kubuntu 6.10, but now on ubuntu 6.10 I get
Quote:
u2@box3:~/src/hwsdl2$ src/homeworld
Scanning for newer files in /home/u2/g/hw1
Compared 41 filesystem files to main & update bigfiles.
0 files found newer than main bigfile in filesystem.
0 files found newer than update bigfile in filesystem.
Fatal Error: Couldn't initialize default rendering system
.Saving detailed analysis to 'mem.analysis' and map to 'mem.map'
Heap length = 64033280
Largest block = 63944032 (99.86%)
Used memory = 88928 (0.14%)
Free memory = 63944032 (99.86%)
Cookie memory = 256 (0.00%), 8 cookies
Lost memory = 64 (0.00%)
utility.c (4751): Fatal Error - Assertion of (munmap(utyMemoryHeap, 0) != -1) failed.
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I get the same error messages with the newest revisions too.
ioquake3 sdl via fresh compile works fine still.

like what you got, Zap.

if I happen to produce an acceptable fix for this (without code changes), I'll post the details.

acronyms.ch, neworder.box.sk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:59 am 
coder

Hi.

This's been popping up a few times and I keep thinking that we should do something about it. :)

http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/sourceforum/viewtopic.php?p=503&highlight=#503

Once it's fixed there's something in the ~/.homeworld/reg file
Code:
glToSelect libGL.so

which keeps it fixed after the main.c changes have been reverted. :)

Strange but true. :)

Maybe we should have a FAQ forum?

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:18 am 
coder

edit: aunnx, which revision broke auto-population of the reg file? your 362 binary fixes it, like zap said.

ah! :) thanks.

note: with only "glToSelect libGL.so" it still actually crashes, but this works (with the proper values):

deviceCRC -snip-
deviceCaps 0
deviceCaps2 0
deviceIndex 1
deviceToSelect
glToSelect libGL.so
d3dToSelect
screenWidth 1024
screenHeight 768
screenDepth 32
HW_Language
-snip-

acronyms.ch, neworder.box.sk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:35 am 
Site Admin

nova wrote:
note: with only "glToSelect libGL.so" it still actually crashes, but this works (with the proper values):
Code:
deviceCRC -snip-
glToSelect libGL.so

Actually, you'll find it works with just these two values... it will fill in the rest of the configuration directory from there.

The problem is getting the deviceCRC value before it crashes...

(Yes, this is part of the "Linux Setup" problem the zapkitty was working on before being distracted by real life recently...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:37 am 
coder

Hi.

The r362 binary has the edits to main.c to remove the references to librgl.so :)

It works because it doesn't try to load librgl.so, so creates the reg file using the GL renderer it knows about (libGL.so) :) :) :)

We should probably edit the main.c and populate it with #ifdefs to always load libGL.so for linux.

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:45 am 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
Hi.

The r362 binary has the edits to main.c to remove the references to librgl.so :)

It works because it doesn't try to load librgl.so, so creates the reg file using the GL renderer it knows about (libGL.so) :) :) :)

We should probably edit the main.c and populate it with #ifdefs to always load libGL.so for linux.

Hmmm... the timing of your post is close to mine... did you see my ealier post? it can be fixed by somehow pre-populating the reg list with the deviceCRC and gltoselect values.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:56 am 
coder

zapkitty wrote:
Hmmm... the timing of your post is close to mine... did you see my ealier post? it can be fixed by somehow pre-populating the reg list with the deviceCRC and gltoselect values.

I didn't get your post until after I'd posted mine. :(
I'll have a look at how it creates the reg file as I would like to put the HW_Data variable in there as well.

If we're moving away from using rgl, wouldn't it be better to not include it rather than configure the binary not to use it?

Just had a look through the code, and it looks like the changes to main.c alters the reg file default config, so it's doing what we want. :) :)

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:20 pm 
coder

I am packaging the binary for the Gentoo distribution and the loading librgl.so library problem is still there.

Shouldn't we commit the change to the main.c that calls libGl instead of librgl. I will allow us to distribute the binary without trouble and we will be able to get rid of librgl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Azurief wrote:
I am packaging the binary for the Gentoo distribution and the loading librgl.so library problem is still there.

Shouldn't we commit the change to the main.c that calls libGl instead of librgl. I will allow us to distribute the binary without trouble and we will be able to get rid of librgl.

Ack... you're right... everyone's so busy... :)

OK, I'll commit the changes if no one else beats me to it.

EDIT: main.c changes commited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:21 am 
coder

Oki seems to be working well for me.

I will post a link to the tar.gz that I will be using in Gentoo package.

EDIT: I finished the archive that contains the binary. It has a README, CHANGELOG, BUGS and everything. Is it possible to host it on http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/ so that anyone can test it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Azurief wrote:
Oki seems to be working well for me.

I will post a link to the tar.gz that I will be using in Gentoo package.

EDIT: I finished the archive that contains the binary. It has a README, CHANGELOG, BUGS and everything. Is it possible to host it on http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/ so that anyone can test it?

But of course! :) Just email the tar.gz to me and I'll get it up pronto.

admin at nekomimicon dot net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Okay...

http://www.nekomimicon.net/homesource/d ... 0.4.tar.gz

Comments:

You left a lot of backup files in the directory... are you sure you didn't want to remove them?

"The NIS soundtrack doesn't end if you escape the NIS" bug is still in there.

A dedicated binary INSTALL etc needs to be wriiten up, I think... the one you made over from the svn INSTALL is a bit muddled... not your fault, of course; it is the nature of the svn Linux INSTALL to be muddled... ;)

The NIS is getting slightly abbreviated and sped up for some things.. in SP 4 when the Bentusi first appear the ambassador corvette's exit from the Mothership is clipped out, and the Bentusi dialogue slightly steps on the ambassador dialogue whereas before the was a noticeable pause between the two. Minor things... but anything interfering with the NIS code is decidedly not minor.

That's all I can hear from the binary. Niece and Nephew will be drafted later tonight to check out the visuals.

Will check if current svn has these bugs.

Last edited by zapkitty on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:13 pm 
coder

Well, if by backup files you mean AUTHORS, BUGS, CHANGELOG, INSTALL and README, it is used as documentation files for my packaging, plus it can help people who are trying to install the binary, especially the INSTALL and README file.

INSTALL was taken from the one in the svn, that I modified by removing any references to the code and only letting the important stuff for installation. I made some others modifications since I send you the package.

Concerning the bug, well, didn't have time to look at it. :)

It based on the r420 revision compiled with the fixed me enabled, so svn should have this bug.

My question is can we release it in this state (after some minor modification of the doc) or should we wait?

Personnaly, I have almost finished to create my ebuild for the gentoo distribution, and I would really like to propose it to gentoo dev in order to have it in the package tree. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Azurief wrote:
Well, if by backup files you mean AUTHORS, BUGS, CHANGELOG, INSTALL and README, it is used as documentation files for my packaging, plus it can help people who are trying to install the binary, especially the INSTALL and README file.

er... not what I was talking about...

Code:
[...homeworldsdl-0.4]$ ls
AUTHORS   bin/  BUGS~      CHANGELOG~  INSTALL~  README~
AUTHORS~  BUGS  CHANGELOG  INSTALL     README

You might have your desktop set to hide standard linux backup files? If so, not good for development work.... you should listen to your directories more often :)

Azurief wrote:
INSTALL was taken from the one in the svn, that I modified by removing any references to the code and only letting the important stuff for installation. I made some others modifications since I send you the package.

And there'll be more still... 'tis the nature of the beast. :)

Azurief wrote:
Concerning the bug, well, didn't have time to look at it. :)
It based on the r420 revision compiled with the fixed me enabled, so svn should have this bug.

Then it's like the librgl.so... something that was fixed for the binary but not commited to svn... but what was the fix?

Azurief wrote:
My question is can we release it in this state (after some minor modification of the doc) or should we wait?

No.

... what have you forgotten?

The licenses.

Both the RDN license and the SDL license.
I don't know that the SDL license is required for just the code in the binary, but it seems wise to give the Gnu some equal time if folks are going to be looking at that RDN monster.

I've adapted Ted's version for the old binary release and put a copy of each up at:
http://www.nekomimicon.net/homesource/d ... r_testing/

Azurief wrote:
Personnaly, I have almost finished to create my ebuild for the gentoo distribution, and I would really like to propose it to gentoo dev in order to have it in the package tree. :)

Does such inclusion require the binary to be under the GPL?

If that is the case... then no go. But if the binary can be under its own license then that will be just fine :)

We're going public...? Need a another small forum change and I'm not done yet counting fixme's to list... but we don't want old binary reports clogging the current bug list when we get it organized.

All right...Azurief, lmop Aunxx, nova, You are getting moderatorized. Other long-timers too upon request. I'll see if I can do it without fouling up the board with repetitive Mod listings...

Last edited by zapkitty on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:47 pm 

zapkitty wrote:
Does such inclusion require the binary to be under the GPL?

Nope, they use their own licence
There is even a way to show a custom licence that the user need to accept before installing the app.

So, it is possible to show the RDN licence and require that the user accept it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

mbouchar wrote:
Nope, they use their own licence
There is even a way to show a custom licence that the user need to accept before installing the app.

So, it is possible to show the RDN licence and require that the user accept it.

That would seem to cover things. Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:56 am 
coder

About, the backup, damn gedit, I only use it in the build directory not in my dev directory. :D

Well, for the time being, I put it under a free-non commercial license. But I can make a license check on the RDN one, but does the RDN license really cover the binary?

I mean, Ted seems to have distributed it freely without the RDN license. Maybe should we talk to relic guys before to be sure.

About the SDL license, as the binary package doesn't include the libsdl stuff, I didn't bother to include it, but I can if you want :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:24 am 
Site Admin

Azurief wrote:
Well, for the time being, I put it under a free-non commercial license. But I can make a license check on the RDN one, but does the RDN license really cover the binary?

The Relic license, taken literally, covers the source code, anything made from the source code, anything ever made with something made from the source code, and everything that ever might have caught a glimpse of the source code. Has your pet ever looked at your monitor while the source code was on it? Has you Significant Other ever overheard you cussing out the source code? If so then both pet and SO are now the intellectual property of Relic Entertainment :D

Azurief wrote:
I mean, Ted seems to have distributed it freely without the RDN license. Maybe should we talk to relic guys before to be sure.

Ted did not. Ted included the license with the binary release. Did I not mention that the COPYING I put up at
http://www.nekomimicon.net/homesource/d ... ng/COPYING
was modified from the one Ted used with his release?

Now we could ask Relic about that. They might say "Ah, it's okay. Go ahead."... (they've been doing that sort of thing ever since they released the source under that ridiculous license) But the explicit permissions to distribute do not mention omitting the license. If we can get some text especially made to cover the binaries that'd be cool too, but it may not happen.

So, to summarize: Yes, the license is needed unless Relic explicitly says not.

Azurief wrote:
About the SDL license, as the binary package doesn't include the libsdl stuff, I didn't bother to include it, but I can if you want :).

That's okay to... I just thought seeing a "familiar face" might ease the shock upon first encountering the Relic License :twisted:

BTW... didn't mean to scare people with the "Moderatorized"... the intent of that was so you could organize, edit, and shift the bug and fixme threads as needed. And as I had hoped the assignments can be done quietly behind the scenes. I don't expect you to have to mind the store... that's still my job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:40 am 
coder

Nevermind about the License for ted, but it seems that his tar for version 0.3 is messing with me. :)

In this case, I will make a pleasure to include both License ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Azurief wrote:
Nevermind about the License for ted, but it seems that his tar for version 0.3 is messing with me. :)

In this case, I will make a pleasure to include both License ;)

I realized you'd left out needed stuff about the CD so I spliced the relevant portions back into the INSTALL... and now the latest tar.gz is up for grabs at:

http://www.nekomimicon.net/homesource/d ... r_testing/

Post subject: Ready to go?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:00 am 
Site Admin

zapkitty wrote:

Have tweaked the text files and have added a much needed disclaimer, both as a separate file and at the bottom of the readme.

Is this ready to go? Sound off, please :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:50 am 
coder

I think it is. License problem are clear now, and the package seems to provide everything that was need.

Good for me! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Azurief wrote:
I think it is. License problem are clear now, and the package seems to provide everything that was need.

Good for me! ;)

Ack... whole class of neccessary company disclaimers omitted... working on it now... have to disclaim three different companies past and present.

Maybe can still get it out for holidays with a current revision binary? lmop would be happy :)

Also going to make up universal (cross-platform) binary release package... just stuff in a current binary and go. Will put up new thread when ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:08 am 
coder

Oki zapkitty no prob :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:57 pm 
coder

It may seem silly but,

Is it really necessary to have the revision number at the end of the binary?

I don't see really the use of it as it's a release, the number of the revision is not that important I think. A notice in the INSTALL file would be better imho.

Plus for packaging in many distros, it doesn't allow to use a generic name, and at each modification, we will have to modify it and when installing people will have to rename it (I don't thik people like homeworld-xxxx as command).

It is just a question but I don't see really the point. :/