Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:26 pm 

Yeah, so, my rig is effectively a 64 bit debian testing setup.

Grabbed latest svn from repo (might want to update those instructions to include the --username and --password params, I'm so used to using git these days... >:P ).

Execute bootstrap script. General whining from autoreconf, quickly clear up the source of one of the warnings by modifying line 14 of ./Linux/stuff/acinclude.m4 to read:

Code:
AC_DEFUN([AM_PATH_SDL],

Ignore the repeated complaints about "archiver requires 'AM_PROG_AR'" from bootstrap script and proceed to execute configure in repo root.

Get through that, move on to executing make. Oh joy, after a bucket of warnings, compilation error with complaints of:

Quote:
/usr/bin/ld: ./SDL/libhw_SDL.a(libhw_SDL_a-fqeffect.o): undefined reference to symbol 'truncf@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
//lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

I end up manually ordering gcc to link a couple of extra system libraries manually by executing the following command on my terminal:

Code:
gcc -g -O2 -malign-double -D_X86 -D_LINUX_FIX_ME -DHW_GAME_HOMEWORLD -DHW_BUILD_FOR_DISTRIBUTION -Wl,--as-needed -o homeworld homeworld.o  -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu ./Game/libhw_Game.a ./SDL/libhw_SDL.a ./Ships/libhw_Ships.a ./Missions/Generated/libhw_Generated.a ./ThirdParty/LZSS/libhw_LZSS.a ./ThirdParty/CRC/libhw_CRC.a ./ThirdParty/JPG/libhw_JPG.a ./Game/libhw_Game.a ./SDL/libhw_SDL.a ./Ships/libhw_Ships.a ./Missions/Generated/libhw_Generated.a ./ThirdParty/LZSS/libhw_LZSS.a -L/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -lSDL -lGL -lm -lX11

The make script then proceeds as expected. It's pretty clearly making a mess of $LDFLAGS, but I really need to dig through the build scripts more to work out where and why. It's been ages since I've played with make. ;)

So, execute make install, copy over the appropriate data files to get the binary to launch and run it, get presented with this:

Code:
(null) (0): Fatal error - Bad cookie size: 56, 32
Trace/breakpoint trap

I'd investigate this further, but I'm thinking I should probably fix up the build environment first, right? ;D

Fun, fun, fun! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:34 am 

Hi,

Don't know where to get an answer, so I ask the question here.
I try to get access to the SVN repository.
What is the best way to get access to the source tree ?

Hope you will manage to build it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:08 am 

mutagen wrote:
mutagen

Yes, I got these errors too. Trying to resolve. That autotools instance is ugly mess...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:33 am 

Fixed now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:46 pm 

Unfortunately, the same error.
Latest SVN -> bootstrap.sh -> configure -> make.
When I execute compiled bin: "(null) (0): Fatal error - Bad cookie size: 56, 32"

Can I ask how you solved it?

Debian 7.1; x86_64.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:55 pm 
coder

It appears our autotools setup does not define _X86_64 automatically but only if the --enable-x86_64 option is passed to configure. I built with that and was able to start a game, although Bink videos were skipped. However, I did not get very far in the game: was just about to begin fighter formation training when it SEGVd.