Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 pm 
coder

As, thanks to Aunxx, we fixed the menu bug by desactivating the FastFrontend function, I have been wondering what we should do about the glcompat.c/glcompat.h sources.

After having done some statistics on the use of the functions defined in glcompat.c, I found out, that it was only used by the menu, and that since we desactivate the FastFrontend, almost only one function is called to this library (glcActive which test if it is active). The other function called are glcRenderEverything, which only update a integer value of the glcompat.c, and glcActivate, which always abort due to the desactivation of the FastFrontend.

I think this library is useless if we plan to let FastFrontend desactivated. So what should we do? Remove it from the sources as it has no use, or correct the bug in it and reactivate FastFrontend, but is it really that usefull (I really don't know about this) as it could be, excuse me for the term, a PITA to correct it?

What do you people think about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:39 am 
coder

Hi.

I don't think we should try and fix or re-activate the FastFrontemd as it seems to be working quite happily without it. :)

I'm for removing the sources from the Linux build but I would guess that they're still required in the other builds. We probably could #ifdef the references out though if they're not too prevalent.

Removing it from the makefiles would be no hardship. :)

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:45 am 
coder

I don't think it's any big loss and am all in favour of removing redudant/useless code. I'm particularly wary of any code (in any software project) called "fast" since, more often than not, it isn't any more. Technology has either outpaced it; the bug they were working around no longer exists or the Standard Library has been corrected to do something similar or better. In the case of Homeworld, there's been 7 years (we missed Homeworld's birthday on November 15th (1999) :oops:) of additional hardware and software development.

Besides which, isn't the src/SDL/gl* code basically graphics card support code that should really live in src/rgl and so be up for deletion anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:59 am 
coder

I was also in favour of its deletion, as this really is only redundant and now useless code.

Well, if Win32 guys are ok with it, I will do it tonight. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:57 pm 
coder

no objections

acronyms.ch, neworder.box.sk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:09 pm 
coder

I have removed every reference to functions belonging to glcompat.c in the sources.
Everything compiles fine and the game seems to work fine to.

As lmop said, a great part of glcompat seemed to be related to rgl, I wonder what the other gl* contains.