Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deprecating RGL
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:20 am 
Site Admin

OK, should all OpenGL functions default to the /src/SDL directory then?

The only reason I could see for a separate /GL dir was if we wanted to pair it with a notional /D3D dir... but the current OGL (2.1) can handle every wet dream visual option any fan could want in the engine, and cross-platform to boot.

So my first step would be excising all D3D references, I think...

... then replacing any purely RGL functions with current builtins... lmop mentioned at least one remaining example of this IIRC?...

... then delete /rgl?

What OGL can do for us: (laundry list starting with stenciled shadows and MRM LOD transitions using only one starting mesh and ending with that procedural shaders stuff)... far beyond my scope...

... you do realize you've got a blind man reworking your graphics engine, right? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:01 am 
Site Admin

Speaking of ancient holdouts it looks like it's finally time for devstats.dat to go (we politely ask the gl implementation what the vid card can do nowadays)

... and is there any reason to keep reg? I'm sure what's left after I'm done can be folded into Homeworld.cfg... one less file to lug around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:07 am 
Site Admin

I've got a test binary with no d3d running. As soon as I straighten out an issue or two (like not saving vid preferences :) ) I'll go ahead and ditch the remaining directx code as well (directdraw etc.).

In Linux OpenGL software rendering is supposed to kick in automatically if 3d acceleration isn't available... regardless of the application. If other platforms have similiar fallbacks then should I deprecate the SW mode as well? Much simplification there...
...or...
... or I could get cute and try to invoke sw rendering from in game by telling SDL to use GL but no acceleration... maybe?... it should still be simpler than the current (not very functional) SW mode and would give traditionalists a fallback point....

... and we'll want people with functional eyes to check this stuff out as I'm doing it ;)...

Apparently though... the gl isn't currently doing antialiasing?

I'm going to see if I can turn it on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

BTW ... while we're waiting for the svn server it seems that the d3d, ddraw, and the sw rgl stuff have fallen victim to my random prunings :)

lib rgl... you're next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:20 am 
coder

zapkitty wrote:
lib rgl... you're next...

I believe you forgot the "mwuhhaahhhaaaaa"

:)

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:11 am 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
I believe you forgot the "mwuhhaahhhaaaaa"
:)

Wouldn't do for me to get cocky ;) Everything up to that has mostly been dead code... although I've been prying strange fragments of dx out of stranger places... but libRGL is live and not to be treated lightly.

I'm currently prying out whatever stuff is still needed and putting it in SDL until it can be deprecated (if possible), prying out the wgl stuff and putting it in SDL till it can be fully made over into an OpenGL implementation, and doing a search and destroy on the remainder.

As I warned earlier... crude kludgery in progress :P

But, in return, much simplification. For starters the eternally extensible device enumeration code will now be limited to two devices and one feature set: GL and software both using OpenGL's features... and software will just be GL without the hardware.

(hanging on to the sw code in a separate folder though... might give clues as to tweaking the GL software mode? )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:42 am 
Site Admin

Darth Zapkitty glares at the special fx crew desperately manipulating a little file called fixed.h.

"C'mon there! Make it more menacing! This is the Terrible RGL Menace! Make it snarl! Make it leap at me! At least make it look mean."

Realizing it's hopeless the Dark Lord of the Nekomimi just sighs, picks up fixed.h and tosses it into the SDL directory. Then he reaches out with his tail and flips a lever, blowing the carbon-frozen remains of /rgl out into the void()

"All too easy." he mutters darkly as he stalks off in a huff.

Post subject: fixed.h
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:30 pm 
coder

fixed.h seems to be included only by src/Game/ResearchGUI.c, and that is probably unnecessary as well.

Post subject: Re: fixed.h
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

shevek wrote:
fixed.h seems to be included only by src/Game/ResearchGUI.c, and that is probably unnecessary as well.

Probably... please feel free to do so :) My methods are crude and inexperienced, and I'd just as soon leave something like that sticking out like a sore thumb in /SDL now than build in a less-than optimum fix into ResearchGUI.c to be overlooked later.

Besides which... there's more than enough rgl left over in /SDL to keep my bewildered for days on end... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:04 am 
coder

I wouldn't move anything in src/rgl to another directory. It makes it harder to see what's left to get rid of, both by you and others. I've proved to my satisfaction that everything in rgl isn't needed to run the game under Mac OS X, so any files in there are clearly up for deprecation. I'd whittle the contents of rgl down as much as you can and then we can see what's left to tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:04 am 
Site Admin

"I find your lack of faith... disturbing." the black-arnored figure of Darth Zapkitty wheezes in annoyance. "The rebel base on /rgl has already been utterly destroyed... along with /rgl... and their little dog too."

Using the power of the --force he reaches out with his tail and picks up fixed.h up by the scruff of its neck.

"This is all that remains of those ragtag fugitive functions."

The Dark Lord notices a Mac ifdef tag dangling from the collar of the struggling header file. He tilts his head inquiringly at lmop.

"And by the way... doesn't this belong to you?"

Even if we can't get Bink permissions we simply gots to have a way to build cutscenes cheaply for mods. There's just too much fun to be had... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:25 am 
coder

If I understand that (and it's rather hard) you are refering to:

Code:
#ifndef _MACOSX
#include "fixed.h"
#endif

No it does not belong to me because it says that anything that isn't Mac OS X uses that file. You can do what you want with it: wrap it so that it's only used with Windows, or delete it if you know that neither Linux nor Windows needs it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:56 am 
Site Admin

lmop wrote:
If I understand that (and it's rather hard)

Oops. My bad. Got a little punchdrunk. Sorry.

lmop wrote:
... you are refering
Code:
#ifndef _MACOSX

No it does not belong to me.

Again, a little too much uptime for the zapkitty. Sorry about that :)

Ok... then I'll check out what fixed.h does and what can be done with it.

But to be clear on what I've done locally:

Code:
$ svn status
M      Linux/stuff/configure.in
A      src/SDL/fixed.h
D      src/rgl
M      src/Makefile.am

... the makefile mods just remove the rgl references.

And it passes all tests I've tried just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

And, as shevek indicated, fixed.h isn't even used by ResearchGUI.c...

Code:
$ svn status
M      Linux/stuff/configure.in
D      src/rgl
M      src/Game/ResearchGUI.c
M      src/Makefile.am

Tested.

/rgl is history from the Linux point of view. All that remains is for the people working with the Win32 platform to sign off on it. But even while they're checking that we can ifdef Win32 the code and makefiles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:03 am 
coder

Mornin'

Zapkitty, I've a couple of modified Makefile.am files which exclude the rgl folder from the build, as well as one or two other changes for the Linux and MS gcc builds. I don't want to commit them though if it's going to clash with you're excellent work. :)

Let me know when it's okay to commit stuff. :)

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:20 am 
Site Admin

I'm currently holding off on /rgl until the Win32 people respond and let us know what they still need from it... if anything... so commit away.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Having given sufficient warning to all hands I will now deprecate src/rgl :)