Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Precating OpenGL
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

A thread for practical exploration of what we can do with the HWSDL GL engine now.

Oh my... where do we start?

Well, Homeworld's GL was built around the GL extensions available for OpenGL 1.1 .... and the current version is 2.1.

Many of the older GL extensions Homeworld uses were developed for specific platforms, such as GL_SGI_compiled_vertex_array, and these have been replaced by extensions such as GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array.

Of course since OpenGL is the epitome of backwards compatibility the older extensions still work, but it won't hurt to update them where feasible since we're cleaning up the whole engine code anyways.

In addition SDL itself has many standard OpenGL handling routines built in and theoretically these can replace old GLU and GLX routines for greater efficiency and cross-platform compatibility. ... I think...

("I see..." said the blind kitty.)

Let's think big... a goal to reach for... any goal... how about an engine that can load and properly display Cataclysm-based ship models as well as Homeworld models... that'll give us something to chew on.

(and imagine the sudden cessation of "But can Homeworld SDL do?"questions over at the Relicnews forums if we can pull that off... :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:12 pm 

I think bringing it up to date should be our primary goal here. I know the modders over at relicnews will jump on this once it becomes a bit easier to mod.

Post subject: Lighting
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:10 pm 
coder

If anyone is familiar with lighting in OpenGL, meshObjectRenderLit might be worth a look. It appears to do lighting in software, which may have been a good idea in 1999 but perhaps not in 2007.