Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

OK, I'm back. First off: hopefully you never noticed the upgrade to the current version of phpBB :)

I'll get back to work on updating the issue tracking threads in a few minutes, but first a word from two of our sponsors...

Given the help that Niece and Nephew have given to the Homesource project by lending me their eyes as needed, it's been made known to me that they could do even more for us if, perhaps, a generous Uncle were to help them acquire a better video card than the 64 meg nvidia currently in the family PC :)

So, as I've been somewhat out of touch with developments in this area for some time, I'd like some advice on what would be a good general-purpose card nowadays. They're not going to be playing Doom 3, so I was looking at something that is not bleeding edge but would get them in the door with most current games. They are getting by with the 64 meg nvidia but some games they want to try could use a lot more power.

After some searching I'm now considering a Biostar brand GeForce 6200A with 256MB GDDR2 and an AGP 8x interface for $50 US. This would fit their system and my budget... but would it be a good buy at this time?

I know that a lot of the factors in such a purchase are scenario-dependendent or subjective, but then I'm just looking for personal opinions so any comments would be appreciated... :)