Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Homeworld Fonts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:57 pm 
coder

I notice you've got some Homeworld-style fonts linked on the front page. Microgramma is particularly good. Where did you find them and are they public domain?

I also read somewhere that someone had reverse engineered the .hff format (Relic really doesn't like standards does it!) but I couldn't find any tools/conversions/documentation anywhere. Anyone know any better?

Post subject: Re: Homeworld Fonts
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

lmop wrote:
I notice you've got some Homeworld-style fonts linked on the front page. Microgramma is particularly good. Where did you find them and are they public domain?

On the web, and yes... despite the fact that the actual Homeworld font is a licensed font (presumably paid for by Relic), these variants are public domain.

Just a note: I don't put things up for download unless they are either public domain (like the fonts) or unless permission has explicitly been given (like with the source executable or the Homeworld SDL patch.)

I also have an RDN license check loop ready should the modded source code ever become available for download again ;)

lmop wrote:
I also read somewhere that someone had reverse engineered the .hff format (Relic really doesn't like standards does it!) but I couldn't find any tools/conversions/documentation anywhere. Anyone know any better?

You will find tools created and used by the Relic team in the source code under the "tools" directory.

Post subject: Re: Homeworld Fonts
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

zapkitty wrote:
lmop wrote:

On the web, and yes... despite the fact that the actual Homeworld font is a licensed font (presumably paid for by Relic), these variants are public domain.

Actually, it turns out the web site I got them from was... mistaken.

Microgamma is the official Homeworld font set, and is copyrighted by (URW)++

http://www.urwpp.de

There is also a "microgramma" set of fonts around that apparently have some folks believing that they are freeware knockoffs of Microgamma... and they're not.

I discovered this for myself accidentally when I opened them with a hex editor to get the actual copyright and license data... and found that Microgramma is also copyrighted by URW... and then I found out that the Eurostile was a Microgamma variant (w/ added lowercase letters) that was further modified by Microsoft for one of its early TrueType fonts package.

So all the Microgamma, Microgramma and Eurostile fonts I've found are either directly from URW or are from Microsoft who licensed them through URW.

Thus, at this time, there are no good Homeworld-type fonts I know of that I can legitimately host on this site.

Not a very serious setback, but that is what happened to the fonts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:40 am 

Just as an addition to this for reference, I reverse engineered the HFF format, and wrote the HW font conversion tool to generate new HFF fonts from system fonts, so if you do find a free compatible HW style font then if can be converted to the HFF format. The file format isn't that difficult but I don't think I ever wrote it down officially. Basic info consists of the font strike and glyph index into said strike. If anyone need the file spec for something then I can try to dig it out from somewhere.

The difficulty of using new fonts for HW1 is that they simply have to fit into the space that the original font was in but apart from that it's relativly easy.

I also did the font tool for HW2 so I know that format as well. It's more flexible than the HW font (scales for different resolutions). Heh, I had the tool done before the game came out - I worked on the demo :)

Its interesting that not many HW or HW2 projects ever used different fonts, considering the overall change that it gives to the feel of the game.