Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:16 am 

I haven't gotten the SVN access to Homeworld SDL, but I have found a random Github repo which won't compile for some reason.

I've tried building by following "building.txt" in the windows subfolder and VC8 and this is what happens.

Code:
1>------ Build started: Project: vc8_hwsdl, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>BTG.c
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(286) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>        c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\string.h(73) : see declaration of 'strcpy'
1>        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcpy_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(293) : warning C4996: 'strcat' was declared deprecated
1>        c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\string.h(78) : see declaration of 'strcat'
1>        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcat_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(458) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>        c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\string.h(73) : see declaration of 'strcpy'
1>        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcpy_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(836) : error C2275: 'btgPolygon' : illegal use of this type as an expression
1>        c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.h(56) : see declaration of 'btgPolygon'
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(836) : error C2065: 'polyOut' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(844) : warning C4047: '=' : 'int' differs in levels of indirection from 'btgPolygon *'
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1026) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'double' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1062) : warning C4244: 'function' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1062) : warning C4244: 'function' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1091) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1092) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1097) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1098) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1103) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1104) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1109) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\btg.c(1110) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'real64' to 'real32', possible loss of data
1>Clouds.c
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\clouds.c(445) : error C2065: 'M_PI_2' : undeclared identifier
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\clouds.c(981) : error C2057: expected constant expression
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\clouds.c(981) : error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\clouds.c(981) : error C2133: 'lightning' : unknown size
1>CommandNetwork.c
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\commandnetwork.c(267) : warning C4018: '<' : signed/unsigned mismatch
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\commandnetwork.c(290) : warning C4018: '<' : signed/unsigned mismatch
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\commandnetwork.c(2042) : error C2051: case expression not constant
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\commandnetwork.c(2157) : error C2051: case expression not constant
1>GamePick.c
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(185) : warning C4996: 'sprintf' was declared deprecated
1>        c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\stdio.h(345) : see declaration of 'sprintf'
1>        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using sprintf_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(264) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(266) : warning C4996: 'strcat' was declared deprecated
1>        c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\string.h(78) : see declaration of 'strcat'
1>        Message: 'This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using strcat_s instead. To disable deprecation, use _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE. See online help for details.'
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(332) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(334) : warning C4996: 'strcat' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(346) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(453) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(569) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(570) : warning C4996: 'strcat' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(588) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(589) : warning C4996: 'strcat' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(804) : warning C4996: 'strcpy' was declared deprecated
1>c:\games\homeworldsdl-master\src\game\gamepick.c(805) : warning C4996: 'strcat' was declared deprecated
ndefined; assuming extern returning int
1>Generating Code...
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Games\HomeworldSDL-master\Windows\prj\v8_hwsdl_rel+sym\BuildLog.htm"
1>vc8_hwsdl - 52 error(s), 550 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 am 

I have the current SVN revision (912) working on win7 x64 (built 32-bit exe), though I've compiled with mingw+msys instead of msvc.

I installed mingw and msys via mingw-get, then installed the mingw development release of SDL-1.2.15 and also extracted a development release of the ffmpeg library for windows. Then I attempted to follow the instructions in the Linux build folder:

Code:
./bootstrap
../configure -enable-hwdebug --enable-movies CFLAGS="-DHAVE_BOOLEAN -DHW_ENABLE_MOVIES -I/code/homeworld/ffmpeg-dev/include -L/code/homeworld/ffmpeg-dev/lib"
make

I ran into a bunch of small bugs -- I've attached a patch file that lists my changes; maybe someone here will be interested in integrating them into the main repo.

As a side note, ffmpeg works great for playing uncompressed avi's, but I can't get it to play mkv's I make from the same files -- it seems it can't figure out the pixel format (and i'm not sure how to fix that, other than just hardcoding it in). Also that alignment check code in avi.c makes me sad :(

Attachments:
File comment: Patch for compiling r912 with msys+mingw and ffmpeg
mingw_compilation_r912.zip [2.53 KiB]
Downloaded 79 times

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:12 pm 

Got r946 to build for x64 using msys2 + mingw, had to make a couple minor changes (patches attached).

Build process was to install msys2, then use it to run:
Code:
pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-toolchain
pacman -S base-devel
pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-ffmpeg
pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-SDL

PATH=/mingw64/bin:$PATH

cd /homeworld/Linux
./bootstrap
../configure --enable-hwdebug --enable-movies --enable-x86_64
make

Then used the exe from src/.libs and the resources from ../HomeworldSDL_big , as well as ffmpeg and SDL dlls from their respective sites.
The tutorial starts up fine, didn't test much else.

Attachments:
r946-msys2-patches.zip [1.3 KiB]
Downloaded 49 times

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:06 am 

Interesting! I tried recently to build myself for windows 7 64bit as target based on the github fork. But, i tried to use vc studio 8 and after fixing many compile problems (or workarounding) i got stuck with the inability to include opengl. The headers included for win seems insufficient and sdl as wrapper failed and glew was not working too.

Maybe you have an tipp for me here (can post the compile errors later).

Ultimately is my goal to analyse the possibility of merging gearbox new assets with the original engine, having the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:51 am 

Hey Nova here, been a long time.

So, i just pulled my old homeworld SDL game files and source code, and the vc8 project i setup years ago actually appears to work normally to my surprise,
i am running windows 8 pro x64 ... game runs smooth.

Updating it and getting it to compile on revision (what 900?) i'll have to see what, if anything is broken which aborts the compilation, as time allows.
I was working on revision 100 or 200, so, many revisions since then, that is for sure.

Homeworld for life :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:51 am 
coder

for fun i just compiled revision 446 using visual studio 8 pro (2005) / vc8 pro, (what i previously worked on awhile ago), and it works, just did a skirmish game and had no crashes.
hit effects turned off under graphic settings, as i mention in my notes in the svn repository.

make sure you have the dx9sdk included in your visual studio includes path and also the visual studio lib path
and also, my notes say libsdl 1.2.11 is needed , but that appears to be missing 1 file oddly enough, so i downloaded this
https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-devel-1.2.12-VC8.zip
instead and it worked great. Put in your visual studio include path.

also am running the openGL renderer, and running the game with this command line
G:\g\hw1\hwsdl-vc8-deb.exe /window /ignoreBigfiles /prepath g:\g\hw1\data
(i have all the hw1 big file data extracted to the data folder)

acronyms.ch, neworder.box.sk