Homesource Forums

Homeworld Source Editing Talk
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

Probably to many 0's... but the first bug in the new Mantis bug tracker we're testing.

mothership hull gun muzzle flashes are way out of scale.

See if you can view it anonymously here,
http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/tenodera/
... and think of what data I should have added and how should it have been described.

Now is the time to get things right... even if we wind up using a different tracker... before we set things in stone ;)

Last edited by zapkitty on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:07 am 
coder

Hi.

I'd like first of all to say I've never really used any bug-tracking software before, so excuse my ignorance with the following.

I like the look of the pages, and everything seems to be there. (Everything that I'd expect to be there at the moment -- Don't know if we're missing anything until we know it's missing......)

Suppose I think I know what's wrong and need to ask for some more information of the person who reported the bug? Do I need a login first of all for this? Are additional options available once you've logged in? Does someone accept responsibility for a bug and looks into it or is it allocated?

I guess you'd need a login to create a bug as well.

Can I have a login please? :)

Aunxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 am 
coder

the revision this bug appeared in would be helpful to know.
and someone should note which revision the bug (when fixed) is fixed in.

i remember you zap, somewhere you made a post stating that x new revision (or near it) brought this bug.

seems fine to me, otherwise.

acronyms.ch, neworder.box.sk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 am 
Site Admin

aunxx wrote:
Hi.
I'd like first of all to say I've never really used any bug-tracking software before, so excuse my ignorance with the following.

That's alright... my only use of issue-tracking software was a proprietary app for the city DOT that I absolutely detested... :)

aunxx wrote:
I like the look of the pages, and everything seems to be there. (Everything that I'd expect to be there at the moment -- Don't know if we're missing anything until we know it's missing......)

Aside from the severe lack of pawprints, nekomimi, and other such neccessities it does seem to be a self-contained and easily customized open source app...

aunxx wrote:
Suppose I think I know what's wrong and need to ask for some more information of the person who reported the bug?

There's a notes section that seems to fit that need. Check the bug again and see a test note I put there under a different login.

aunxx wrote:
Do I need a login first of all for this?

Yes, and as bug trackers are as subject to spamming as anything else on the web I've set login as manually assigned.

aunxx wrote:
Are additional options available once you've logged in?

Yes. There are different levels of access each with additional controls and tools as the level increases.
"viewer" is the lowest level, with
"reporter" the next level up.
"updater" has the ability to update the original bug report and set various flags for the bug,
"developer" can assign the bug to themselves or someone else, and make even more changes,
"manager" is yet even more so, and the top is
"administrator", which is me right now.

The mantis site just changed domains so the link to the Mantis manual doesn't work, here's a link to a copy of it at Homesource:
http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/downl ... istesting/

aunxx wrote:
Does someone accept responsibility for a bug and looks into it or is it allocated?

As above, users with developer or greater level can assign bugs.
aunxx wrote:
I guess you'd need a login to create a bug as well.

Yes, must be "reporter" or above.

aunxx wrote:
Can I have a login please? :)

Well... I guess I'd better... ;)

Check your email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:19 pm 
coder

:)

Cheers. That reads like an FAQ. :) Very useful.

I await my email with anticipation.

Aunxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:18 pm 
coder

Thanks for setting this up and sorry I haven't really participated in this and related threads before.

Mantis looks as though its simple enough to use and the interface is quite clean. Not as sophisticated as other bug trackers but that actually acts in its favour. Some random comments:

1) don't pad the bug id with zeroes (if that's possible)

2) platform information is actually quite hard to specify since there are actually three states for each platform: affected; not affected; not yet checked. I can't tell if the Platform field in the Advanced view is a drop-down menu or free text. Either way, it's not shown in the Simple view and it's actually quite useful so I suggest the Additional Information field in the Simple view stores this. e.g.: "Linux: yes | Mac: no | Windows: unknown".

3) categories (I've deliberately made these fairly vague; we can subdivide more intelligently later on when we actually have some bugs to group):

Development Environment - issues with IDEs, Makefiles, build scripts and the source code itself
Game - problems when playing the game
Tools - editing/modding tools
To Do - possibly contentious but we need somewhere to log the stuff we know we should do, no-one has any time to do but which a new recruit might want to throw themselves at.

4) the following users should all be given "developer" logins: alankila, aunxx, azurief, lmop, nova since they are actually in a position to fix the bugs that get entered :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:49 am 
Site Admin

lmop wrote:
. Some random comments:

1) don't pad the bug id with zeroes (if that's possible)

The bug ID displayed in the view is the default. Options are to either try to change it or to just list the bug by the significant digits and let people learn to discount the zeros themselves :)

I'll check.

lmop wrote:
2) platform information is actually quite hard to specify since there are actually three states for each platform: affected; not affected; not yet checked. I can't tell if the Platform field in the Advanced view is a drop-down menu or free text. Either way, it's not shown in the Simple view and it's actually quite useful so I suggest the Additional Information field in the Simple view stores this. e.g.: "Linux: yes | Mac: no | Windows: unknown".

Hmmm... my concept was to list the bugs sorted by platform, and you can tell that I started down that path by the category bug 1 is in... but that is in direct conflict with the way we've been doing it in the forums. So note this well, lmop!... ... ... you're not the only one to lose track of what they were doing with one aspect or another of this project... :D

The good news is that Mantis has a "Custom Fields" function and I'll put researching that at the top of my to-do list... right after pawprints, of course.

lmop wrote:
3) categories (I've deliberately made these fairly vague; we can subdivide more intelligently later on when we actually have some bugs to group):

Development Environment - issues with IDEs, Makefiles, build scripts and the source code itself

Equivalent to, and including the stuff covered by, the current "HW-SDL compile status" category?

lmop wrote:
Game - problems when playing the game
Tools - editing/modding tools

Straightforward, though subdivision seems inevitable.

lmop wrote:
To Do - possibly contentious but we need somewhere to log the stuff we know we should do, no-one has any time to do but which a new recruit might want to throw themselves at.

like the "HW-SDL fixme rollcalll", for example?... ;)

lmop wrote:
4) the following users should all be given "developer" logins: alankila, aunxx, azurief, lmop, nova since they are actually in a position to fix the bugs that get entered :)

Hmmm.... some elements of that list seem familiar... ;)

As I said, I'll be giving logins to coders, which forum rank, however erratically applied by me (whenever I remember to apply it), does seem to cover "developer" status.

I hadn't considered other ranks when I said that, but it seems logical to give "reporter" status to those who are interested in risking... -er- testing the code, but haven't taken the plunge of serious HW source coding (... yet :) )

As you have listed yourself in there I've signed you up, so check your mail.

So everyone else check in here (or the other Mantis thread) and ask and I'll set it up. (that should also help assure that you're up to date with what we're doing with Mantis etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:22 pm 
coder

Thanks for the login (although I had to retrieve the email from my junk email folder!). Is this now ready to be used or are you still playing with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

lmop wrote:
Thanks for the login (although I had to retrieve the email from my junk email folder!).

Obviously you must discipline your email client severely.... ;)

lmop wrote:
Is this now ready to be used or are you still playing with it?

If we're not still playing with it a month from now I'd be worried that we'd overlooked something.

But I implemented the various platform and version fields and added bug categories mostly as discussed above (added sound and graphics)...
.... So have at it! :)

Just remember, everything is backed up daily and if we need to try out another tracker we can manage... we're not married to this one.